Sunday, November 27, 2011

Oh to have the faith of a child

One of my favorite blogs (who I think I've mentioned before) is A Full Quiver. They are an LDS family who has adopted five special needs children from China. I got to meet the family by chance this summer when I was volunteering at Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. They are an absolutely amazing family and I just adore them! About a year ago they adopted two girls from China: Lexi, who is blind, and Sophi, who was born without arms. Lexi is 6 years old and comes up with some of the funniest things! She has grasped the English language very well, and has also grasped gospel principles amazingly well, even for a six year old, let alone a six year old who only started learning about the church less than a year ago, and is learning it all in a language that isn't her native language. Talk about one special little girl!


Well, the reason I'm mentioning all this is because of a recent post on their blog. You can read it here on their blog and I would highly encourage you to read it. 


Lexi knows that she will be healed (her eyesight restored) when she dies, and she is very excited about this and the fact that Christ will heal her. Her parents shared an example tonight of this, and for me, this was a great example of the kind of faith we all should have:


"Tonight as I was tucking her into her bed, I was just overcome with how much I love this beautiful, special girl.  It's been almost a year since she joined our family and I can't believe her grasp of English, her resiliency, her happy demeanor, and her pure testimony of Jesus Christ.  As I kissed her goodnight, she said, "Mommy, can I fix my eyes?"  I said, "No, sweetie, only Jesus can fix your eyes."  She replied, "But I know how!  I just have to go like this," and proceeded to put her hands over her eyes. [my insert: her parents had showed her how Christ might heal her eyes, and it was by putting his hands over her eyes and then when he takes them away, she would be able to see]

Such childlike faith.

I have no doubt that it is faith enough to be healed now, if it is His desire for her. "




Lexi is such a sweet example of the kind of faith we need to have. We need to have the faith that we can be healed, or that Christ can and will take away all our pains. He will never leave us alone, I know that. I am so grateful for the examples of children who have such pure faith in Christ and his atoning power. Without them, I would often forget how much Christ loves me.

Oh how I am grateful for these simple reminders.

1 comment:

Becky said...

She is a sweet example. When I get weighed down by silly daily complications, I am humbled by other people who have much greater obstacles, and challenges and who are so optimistic and faithful!