Thursday, October 23, 2008

Random BYU Updates

So I had a whole bunch of things to talk about...and now I've forgotten some of them.

One of the big things was about my major. As most of you know, I was hardcore set on doing photography. And I still so totally want to do photography, but now I want to do nursing more than anything. So, since both programs are hard to get into, I am going to apply for both of them. If I only get into one, then that is the one I am supposed to do; if I get into both, then I'm going to choose nursing; if I don't get into either...then I'm in big trouble. So there we have it. I will start taking the pre-nursing requisites that I have to take before I can apply, and I will be taking as many GE's as possible (only about 15 total credits though) and then I apply in May for the nursing program. For photography, I apply in February and will find out about April. Only thing is you can't "defer" your major or anything like that, so if I get into the photography program, I will be a double-major until after I know whether or not I got into the nursing program. Also, because the nursing program is so hard to get into, I am going to be having to work really hard to get a 3.6 or better, and making sure that I get a C or better in all my pre-requisite classes (which are an Intro to Nursing - taking next semester, Human Development, Chem 101 and 285, and as many GE's as possible). The reason for taking as many GE's as possible before getting into the program is that, once in the program, you take 15 credits of Nursing classes every semester, but in Photography you take 15 credits of photography and GE's. So yeah!!
I am super excited and really hope that I get into nursing. And if I do, I'll be looking at another 5 years of school, but at the end, as long as I pass the national exam, I'll be an RN and will be able to get a job right away! And then I would take outside photography classes so I could still do that.

Anyway. Another really neat thing that happened today. So ever since I got to BYU, I have always hoped that I would see Elizabeth Smart. I followed her story a lot when she was missing, and I read the book that her mother wrote and everything. But then I got here and kind of forgot. Well today, I was sitting outside making flashcards for my biology midterm, and I look up because there is a small group (like 3) people and a man has a huge video camera. So this lady comes and sits next to me and so I look at whats going on. So I look, realize they are filming something and go back to my work. But then I do a double take because the girl being filmed looks familiar. So I look again and there she was. It was Elizabeth Smart. I was like...oh goodness! I got kind of excited just because I had always hoped I would be able to see her, and there she was standing 3 feet from me. I didn't talk to her or anything because she was being filmed. It was kind of weird because the guy was filming all around her (like going in a circle) which means that I would have been in it too since she was standing right in front of me! Don't know what it was for but I was still really excited. One thing I noticed was how beautiful she is. I always thoght she was really pretty in the pictures, but she is really just georgous. Anyway. That was my one exciting thing for the day!

My other exciting thing was that I bought a Book of Mormon and a hymnal in Chinese! It doesn't look like I will be able to take chinese next semester because of the Intro to Nursing class conflicting with Chinese, but I don't want to loose it either. And I've wanted to try to read the Book of Mormon in Chinese, so now I have one! And then the hymnal was in pin yin and characters (pin yin is using the English alphabet to write words) so I am able to read it! So I'm super excited!!!

I think that is pretty much all. I'm excited because it is really fall now! It's cold everyday and the leaves are changing colors and falling and what not! Its so pretty! I haven't seen fall in 2 years, so it was awesome!! Oh! And I am so excited because in less than 2 months I will be back in China!! When I first got back, I was so happy to be back and didn't miss China at all, but I'm kind of going through withdrawl right now and I really wish I was back there. It's kind of crazy to think that I've been back in the states for almost 5 months!!!! Wow. I remember when I was saying that about being in China! That was definitely a long time ago!!!

Well I think that is about all. This weekend is going to be busy. I have to work at midnight on friday night because of the home football game on saturday. Then I'm helping my cousin Jen with the Provo City College Graduation pictures, then hanging out Saturday and studying for Biology midterm. Sunday I'm going to Jen's ward for the kids primary program, then maybe to my ward and hanging out the rest. Sunday night my friend Bonnie and I are singing a Chinese song at our ward wrap-up then tunnel singing as always =] Monday is more review for bio then I'll probably take the test Tuesday. The following week I have Book of Mormon and American Heritage midterms so it might be a while before I update again!!!

Oh and just one other things for all you Californians (which most of you are =])

It is super important that Proposition 8 is passed in California on the November 4th election. If this is passed, it will change the definition of marriage in California to be between a man and a woman. So Vote Yes on 8!

Love,
Andrea

3 comments:

Becky said...

Andrea! It sounds like you are having so much fun, studying hard and making good and wise plans! I'm so proud of you!
I totally miss BYU! But, reading your posts takes me back, so keep them coming...if you can.
Also, I went down to help at the senior games too! I went with the health science department so we had to find our own place to stay and only got lunch provided for us...but it was a cool experience! I hope I'm active when I'm a senior. Those athletes are amazing! And they come from ALL OVER THE WORLD!

marcieb said...

I smiled as I read your first few entries from the beginning of school because they were all super happy, everything is great, I love being at college. Then mid-terms hit and I could feel the stress of feeling the weight of class. Now it seems as if you've got things under your belt -- know how to juggle all your many activities and feel just the right amount of stress along with all the fun!

My parents are hopefully going to visit us from Taiwan (if they can get visas) for Christmas so we'll be around when you are here. Cannot wait to see you again!

Melinda said...

You would be a great nurse because you have always had a great quality of compassion and understanding about. I hope you get in! It sounds like you are super busy, which is great!