Tuesday, July 5, 2011

EM:HE Pt 3

So my last shift day was Tuesday, June 28. My sister and I were signed up for the 8 AM to 2 PM shift. It was definitely a different environment being there during the day verses during the night, mainly in that there was actually the film crew there! That is always exciting =] The designers for this house were Michael Malony, Paige Hemmis and Xzibit. I am an absolute fan of Michael and so I really wanted to see him. So my sister and I got there (and our friend Drew came too, with the hopes that he could get in as a walk on) and we sit around for the first 2 hours. Finally this painter guy comes up to me and my sister and says, do you want to do something, and I'm like, yes please! So he takes us to the house, gives us some putty and 8 doors and says, putty the holes in the moulding that are around the door and in the door jams. Yes sir! I was so excited to be doing actual construction work! So we do the front door, 4 doors that lead to a small court yard, door out the master bath , laundry room door and the door to the guest house. While we were over at the guest house, I hear "What is the ETA on Xzibit" and I'm like, he is coming over here?! So Noelle and I keep working on the door, and all of a sudden the whole film crew is right there and they are at the door to the guest house, discussing what is going to happen (I won't reveal it, so that I don't spoil anything). The guy asks if the three guys who are standing by Noelle and I if they are volunteers, they say yes, and needless to say, they get in the shot, but Noelle and I don't because we finished working on what we were working on before they actually shot it =[ We were so close!!! But we did get to see Xzibit up close.

After we finished with the putty, we found our painter guy, Jerry, and ask him if he has anything else we can do. He asks if we've ever caulked before and I said no, but I can learn. He says, ok, lets see how you do. So he shows me how to do it, and gives Noelle sandpaper to sand down the doors. I start caulking and realize I'm doing a horrible job! But I soon enough get the hang of it. I'm so excited to be able to say, I caulked those doors, when they show them on TV!!! Who else can say that?! So we caulked all the doors we had just puttied (except the front door, that one was already done) and while we are caulking the guest house, I see a little girl running towards the tent that the stars generally are at (she was in the spectator area). I recognized her and saw the rest of her family =] It was the family I had met on Sunday! So Noelle and I finished up, and then went over to the family to say hi. I introduced my sister to them, and she struck up a conversation with their oldest daughter. Six-year-old Lexi (who is blind and was adopted from China 6 months ago) comes up to me and grabs my hands. I get down on her level, and she asks who I am. I tell her, and before I know it, she is asking me to hold her. I wasn't going to deny her that! So I pick her up and we became best buds right then and there. She is such a sweetheart and I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to meet this extraordinary family and their amazing kids! That was just as much of a highlight for me as was being able to build a house for such a deserving family!

Holmes Homes, the contractor for the project, had a photographer walking around, taking pictures, and then they put those pictures up on facebook, and they have one of Noelle and I!

Noelle, sanding or puttying

Me, caulking one of the doors to the patio

I have more pictures from the whole even that I will post later =]

No comments: